Getting Married by the Mayor


At our Hillside Marriage and Civil Union Court couples are joined in marriage or civil union by our Mayor, the Honorable Dahlia O. Vertreese. A valid marriage or civil union license and administrative fees are required. Please review the appication / legal requirements listed below. Once all requirements are met for marriage or civil union , please call the Mayor’s Office at 973-926-3002 to arrange a date for the Mayor to marry you.


Must bring (1) witness over eighteen (18) years old that knows both persons at the time of the application – witness must be able to understand and speak english – Photo ID and Proof of Address is required
Social security cards for both persons are required.
Birth certificates for both persons.
If not in english, must be translated.

A couple may apply in the municipality (city, town) in which either person resides –present identification:
• Drivers license
• County ID
• Current PSE&G (or telephone) bill showing proof of residence for both applicants

Divorced persons must present original final divorce decree when making application for marriage.
If not in english, must be translated.
If widow or widowers must present proof of death of spouse (death certificate).
If not in eglish, must be translated.
Applicants must know date of ceremony, where the ceremony will take place, address, and telephone number of officiant at the time of application.


• There is a 72 hour/three (3) day waiting period before a license can be issued.
• It is recommended that you apply for your license two weeks before the date of the ceremony.
• Once the license is issued, it is valid for thirty (30) days. The ceremony must take place within that time period.
• License fee is $28. Exact change is required at the time of application. Cash, money order or certified check is accepted.

If you have any questions, call the Board of Health – The office is closed on weekends and holidays.


1. Either bride and/or groom must be an Hillside resident with valid identification.

2. Marriage License you can obtain from the Health Dept. must be in the Mayor’s office one week prior to the wedding date, with the charitable donation.

3. A charitable donation to any of the charities listed under the Community Partners – *ONLY MONEY ORDERS ACCEPTED

4. Must have two witnesses, over the age of 18, to witness the ceremony.

**Weddings will be performed by Mayor Dahlia O. Vertreese